This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

How do I get Path Copy Copy to show up on my Win 7/8 machines w/o Shift+Click?

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:23 AM
I only see it showing up when I SHIFT+click. Is there a way that it always shows up on right click?
Feb 24, 2015 at 4:44 PM
oroboros wrote:
I only see it showing up when I SHIFT+click. Is there a way that it always shows up on right click?
When you don't hold Shift down, is there no trace of Path Copy Copy at all or do you see the default item? If you see the default item, you may have deselected the "Always show submenu" option. Hold down Shift while right-clicking and open Settings from the submenu, navigate to the Options tab and check if "Always show submenu" is deselected.
Feb 25, 2015 at 10:57 AM
Nope, no trace of it at all... but selecting "Always show submenu" made it appear without holding Shift so that worked.

What would be nice at this point is that if I directly click on "Path Copy" I could "quick copy" what I usually use rather than going to the submenu which automatically opens onHover.
Feb 25, 2015 at 5:37 PM
oroboros wrote:
Nope, no trace of it at all... but selecting "Always show submenu" made it appear without holding Shift so that worked.

What would be nice at this point is that if I directly click on "Path Copy" I could "quick copy" what I usually use rather than going to the submenu which automatically opens onHover.
It should like you don't have any commands configured to show up in the main contextual menu. Is that possible? In the Settings application, on the Commands tab (the first one), see if at least one command has a checked box in the column Main menu. If you select this option for one or more commands, you will get them in the main contextual menu, usually right next to the Path Copy Copy submenu.
Feb 25, 2015 at 5:43 PM
I think I have it set up as you're saying:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/83f6hb5u8gn1526/pathcopy.jpg?dl=0

I mainly use long path name, so I'd love to be able to set it up so when I click on Path Copy I get that copy, and if I want something else I can go over to the submenu.
Feb 25, 2015 at 6:06 PM
Strangely enough, you should see the default item in the main contextual menu. Maybe it isn't positioned right next to the "Path Copy" item that opens the submenu? Since you are only using the default command, it would be labeled "Copy File/Folder Path".

If it really doesn't show up, it's a bug and I'll have to perform more research.
Feb 25, 2015 at 6:11 PM
Just to be sure... like I wrote above, when I selected "Always show submenu" I was able to see the item in the menu without pressing Shift. So on my end it works fine, not sure if it's a bug on your end.

So this is what I see now (even without Shift):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tm89wdzd7ih1ci0/pathcopy2.png?dl=0

But I wanted to know if I could get it so when I click on "Path Copy" menu item I could set it to copy long path, and then have the option to hide the submenu.
Mar 4, 2015 at 3:43 AM
oroboros wrote:
But I wanted to know if I could get it so when I click on "Path Copy" menu item I could set it to copy long path, and then have the option to hide the submenu.
What if you select the "Copy Long Path" command to show up in the main menu in the Settings? A new item should show up directly in the main contextual menu labeled "Copy File/Folder Path". You can deselect "Always show submenu".
Mar 5, 2015 at 11:10 AM
Doing that, I also miss out on the icon (which was my suggestion - lol!) and I see "Copy File/Folder Path" whereas "Path Copy" would suffice.

And it's really a matter of just moving the mouse a little, I know, but still I'd prefer there to be a "default" action if I click on the main menu item, besides the hover action which opens the submenu.
Mar 5, 2015 at 6:02 PM
oroboros wrote:
Doing that, I also miss out on the icon (which was my suggestion - lol!) and I see "Copy File/Folder Path" whereas "Path Copy" would suffice.

And it's really a matter of just moving the mouse a little, I know, but still I'd prefer there to be a "default" action if I click on the main menu item, besides the hover action which opens the submenu.
As far as I know, what you describe is not possible with standard Windows menus. It might be possible with an owner-drawn menu item but I'm not sure I want to get into that.

Possible solutions to your problem:
  1. Create a custom command based on "Copy Long Path", assign an icon to the custom command and configure it to show up in the main contextual menu.
  2. Keep "Copy Long Path" in the main contextual menu and use the hidden UseIconForDefaultPlugin setting to have the icon show up for that command.