This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

V13 Failed to Install - Explorer not able to be closed

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:12 PM
I am using V12 successfully. I appreciate the work you guys do on the program.

Using Setup.exe, V13 Failed to Install - Explorer was not able to be closed.

Using Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit.

The first time Explorer closed and then the dialog came back indicating that Explorer could not be closed. I aborted and restarted Explorer using the task manager.

The second time around, I closed everything, but V13 could still not close Explorer to install.

Any help is appreciated.
Oct 10, 2016 at 6:22 PM
I logged out and back in. Retried the install and it still failed on not being able to close Explorer. I ignored the error and continued. It seems to be working OK ... we'll see :-)
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2016 at 9:35 PM
I'm not sure what's the problem exactly - the part that monitors running processes and tries to close them was not written by me, it is a feature of Inno Setup and uses a Windows API (e.g., it's a built-in Windows function). After installing, did it tell you that you needed to reboot? If not you should be good, but if you are running into problems, try rebooting in case there were files left to copy.
Oct 10, 2016 at 11:55 PM
Edited Oct 11, 2016 at 12:02 AM
d**clechasseur wrote:**
I'm not sure what's the problem exactly - the part that monitors running processes and tries to close them was not written by me, it is a feature of Inno Setup and uses a Windows API (e.g., it's a built-in Windows function). After installing, did it tell you that you needed to reboot? If not you should be good, but if you are running into problems, try rebooting in case there were files left to copy.
Hi Clechasseur, firstly thank you for this piece of software. I just wanted to add to the comment of Aussie_Z and mention that I too ran into similar issues when upgrading to V13 and the requirement to close explorer. To get the install to work, I have to force quit explorer via task manager, which then didn't return as expected. However doing the installation via command line worked as it did with V12.

I have a slightly off topic question. is there a switch I can place in my script to prevent the application from checking for updates? I have deployed it to a number of systems and whenever a user right clicks a folder, the pop-up for the update appears.

Thanks.
Coordinator
Oct 11, 2016 at 6:03 PM
Phenom wrote:
Hi Clechasseur, firstly thank you for this piece of software. I just wanted to add to the comment of Aussie_Z and mention that I too ran into similar issues when upgrading to V13 and the requirement to close explorer. To get the install to work, I have to force quit explorer via task manager, which then didn't return as expected. However doing the installation via command line worked as it did with V12.
I've upgraded to a more recent version of Inno Setup to build the installer for 13.0, which might explain the problems, although it is very strange... You mentioned that "installation via command line worked", what do you mean? You simply launched the Setup via command-line or you installed silently by using Inno switches?
I have a slightly off topic question. is there a switch I can place in my script to prevent the application from checking for updates? I have deployed it to a number of systems and whenever a user right clicks a folder, the pop-up for the update appears.
There is. During installation, pass the following argument to create a registry value that will disable software updates:
/PCCREGVALUEDWORD="DisableSoftwareUpdate,1"
If you want you can also create the registry value DisableSoftwareUpdate yourself in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\clechasseur\PathCopyCopy. The value must be of type DWORD and have a value of 1.
Oct 12, 2016 at 12:08 AM
Edited Oct 12, 2016 at 12:38 AM
clechasseur wrote:
Phenom wrote:
I've upgraded to a more recent version of Inno Setup to build the installer for 13.0, which might explain the problems, although it is very strange... You mentioned that "installation via command line worked", what do you mean? You simply launched the Setup via command-line or you installed silently by using Inno switches?
There is. During installation, pass the following argument to create a registry value that will disable software updates:
/PCCREGVALUEDWORD="DisableSoftwareUpdate,1"
If you want you can also create the registry value DisableSoftwareUpdate yourself in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\clechasseur\PathCopyCopy. The value must be of type DWORD and have a value of 1.
Thanks for the reply Clechasseur and for the reg value(I kinda figured it out the value by reviewing reg changes when I checked and unchecked the auto update checkbox unfortunately I didn't get it to apply the way I wanted which is for current user and not the installer account. Is there a way to set the application to not auto update irrespective of user profile?

Re your question, what I meant is that I did install via commandline passing the various switches to modify the plugins in main menu. Running the install without the switches causes all manner of issues if you have a previous version installed for example, the explorer still open bug mentioned before and also, the settings options locked out when you try to access it, you are prompted with a message that an Administrator has blocked access to it?? Weird.

Also, the issue I face with the upgrade to V13 aside from the abovementioned is that to guarantee a clean install, ill have to remove V12 which will require a system reboot which isn't ideal for my environment. Is there a way to remove version V12 cleanly without the need for a reboot or is this not possible due to the way the application using the OS shell?

Thanks.
Coordinator
Oct 12, 2016 at 12:37 AM
Phenom wrote:
Re your question, what I meant is that I did install via commandline passing the various switches to modify the plugins in main menu. Running the install without the switches causes all manner of issues if you have a previous version installed for example, the explorer still open bug mentioned before and also, the settings options locked out when you try to access it, you are prompted with a message that an Administrator has blocked access to it?? Weird.
That is indeed very weird, there needs to be a specific registry value to lock out the Settings application... How could that value be written to the registry during a regular install?
Also, the issue I face with the upgrade to V13 aside from the abovementioned is that to guarantee a clean install, ill have to remove V12 which will require a system reboot which isn't ideal for my environment. Is there a way to remove version V12 cleanly without the need for a reboot or is this not possible due to the way the application using the OS shell?
Unfortunately, no... Unless you kill explorer.exe, there's no safe way to upgrade, as the file might be used by explorer and once it loads it, it never lets go of it...
Oct 12, 2016 at 12:59 AM
clechasseur wrote:
Phenom wrote:
That is indeed very weird, there needs to be a specific registry value to lock out the Settings application... How could that value be written to the registry during a regular install?
Unfortunately, no... Unless you kill explorer.exe, there's no safe way to upgrade, as the file might be used by explorer and once it loads it, it never lets go of it...
Thanks for the reply, Re the Settings Lockout, it only seems to happen when an inplace update is done also here are the switches I pass to the install: /verysilent /norestart /PCCREGVALUEDWORD="AddQuotes,1" ::/PCCREGVALUEDWORD="KeyLock,1" /PCCREGVALUEDWORD="DisableSoftwareUpdate,1" /PCCREGVALUESZ="PluginsInMainMenu,{EA24BCC3-35F5-46b9-A2A5-A12A0AED2D28}" ---- Note the disable software update switch. This seems to apply only to HKLM but ideally id like this to be applied to HKCU, does the HKLM entry still have the desired impact?

Re Update process itself, ill try to script this so that Explorer is killed first then run the install and see how it goes. ill update you.

thanks,
Gowan
Oct 12, 2016 at 1:08 AM
Guys ... thanks for all of the support ... :-) I'll continue to monitor while you gurus work it out.
Coordinator
Oct 12, 2016 at 1:12 AM
Phenom wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Re the Settings Lockout, it only seems to happen when an inplace update is done also here are the switches I pass to the install: /verysilent /norestart /PCCREGVALUEDWORD="AddQuotes,1" ::/PCCREGVALUEDWORD="KeyLock,1" /PCCREGVALUEDWORD="DisableSoftwareUpdate,1" /PCCREGVALUESZ="PluginsInMainMenu,{EA24BCC3-35F5-46b9-A2A5-A12A0AED2D28}" ---- Note the disable software update switch. This seems to apply only to HKLM but ideally id like this to be applied to HKCU, does the HKLM entry still have the desired impact?
During installation with the regular installer, the registry entries will be created in HKLM. If you used the portable installer, it would create them in HKCU, although I don't advise it as the portable installer seems to have issues at the moment...

Can I ask why you are creating a value KeyLock? That's the value that is blocking your Settings application - remove that and it should work fine.
Oct 12, 2016 at 1:28 AM
clechasseur wrote:
Phenom wrote:
During installation with the regular installer, the registry entries will be created in HKLM. If you used the portable installer, it would create them in HKCU, although I don't advise it as the portable installer seems to have issues at the moment...

Can I ask why you are creating a value KeyLock? That's the value that is blocking your Settings application - remove that and it should work fine.
My install is with the standard .exe file not the portable version of the application. ill keep playing around and see what I can do in this regard.

Re the KeyLock, to be honest I grab those from another user in these discussions and didn't really know what it did when I first used it. I noticed that is commented out though so didn't think it was actually being passed. I have modified the switch to be /PCCREGVALUEDWORD="KeyLock,0" and this has allowed me access to the settings. I also think that the DisableAutoUpdate command it being passed to HKCU. ill monitor with more tests and update you.

Thanks