This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Getting path of actual shortcut

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:02 PM
Is there a way to get the full path of a shortcut ( the .lnk file) rather than the file to which the shortcut refers? As it is now, if you get the path of a shortcut to, say, Visual Studio, you'll get "C:\Program Files (x86(\Microsoft Visual Studio\14\Common\IDE\DevEnv.exe", the target of the shortcut. I'd like to get the path of the actual shortcut file (e.g., ,C:\Users\Pearson\Desktop\VS2013.lnk").

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.
Coordinator
Oct 24, 2016 at 9:37 PM
ChipPearson wrote:
Is there a way to get the full path of a shortcut ( the .lnk file) rather than the file to which the shortcut refers? As it is now, if you get the path of a shortcut to, say, Visual Studio, you'll get "C:\Program Files (x86(\Microsoft Visual Studio\14\Common\IDE\DevEnv.exe", the target of the shortcut. I'd like to get the path of the actual shortcut file (e.g., ,C:\Users\Pearson\Desktop\VS2013.lnk").

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.
It's not possible right now, but it might be possible with some code changes... I'll enter a work item.
Coordinator
Oct 24, 2016 at 9:38 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.