This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Add to title bar of existing applications

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Add options so that the current fqpn is optionally automatically copied to the clipboard for any application.  Scanning applications where the path and file have to be copied to a database application.  This would be embedded in the title bar of each application running. 

Coordinator
Aug 1, 2012 at 3:54 AM

If I understand you correctly, what you would like is for PCC to add a button somewhere in each application's title bar to copy the path of an open file currently shown in the application to the clipboard? How is PCC supposed to know how to fetch the path of those files? As far as I know, there's no standard API that can be used to associate a file name with a window (even an MDI child window)... I don't think it's possible, unfortunately, to do this in a generic way.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM

To: [email removed]
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:54:22 -0700
Subject: Re: Add to title bar of existing applications [pathcopycopy:389523]

If I understand you correctly, what you would like is for PCC to add a button somewhere in each application's title bar to copy the path of an open file currently shown in the application to the clipboard? How is PCC supposed to know how to fetch the path of those files? As far as I know, there's no standard API that can be used to associate a file name with a window (even an MDI child window)... I don't think it's possible, unfortunately, to do this in a generic way.
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (pathcopycopy@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email pathcopycopy@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

The top of the Most Recently Used (MRU) list is in the registry?
You undoubtedly would be better off with some extra security descriptors?
ProcessExplorer sorta does it but it may not be the active subwindow?

There must be a way. Sorry, do not have a better answer off-the-top.
Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 2:39 AM
The top of the Most Recently Used (MRU) list is in the registry?
You undoubtedly would be better off with some extra security descriptors?
ProcessExplorer sorta does it but it may not be the active subwindow?

There must be a way. Sorry, do not have a better answer off-the-top.

As I mentioned, there is no generic way of doing this - not all applications keep an MRU list, not all of them keep it in the same place or in the same format. While it's true that some frameworks support MRU lists in a generic way, like MFC, there's no guarantee to be able to handle all cases. It's a cool concept, but as far as I know, not currently feasable.