Version 11.0 release with auto-update feature

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Path Copy Copy 11.0 has been released today. The main new feature is an auto-update mechanism that will allow you to always be up-to-date with the most recent version! This version also fixes a few bugs.

Head over to download it. As usual, any problem can be reported by entering a work item.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Edited Mar 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM
A way to disable the autoupdate feature? This is more a feature request... As a network admin we don't want these messages popping up on end user machines? i.e. an install switch that disables the autoupdate feature? Or a registry setting we can push to disable autoupdate notifications?
Coordinator
Mar 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM
ANetworkAdmin wrote:
A way to disable the autoupdate feature? This is more a feature request... As a network admin we don't want these messages popping up on end user machines? i.e. an install switch that disables the autoupdate feature? Or a registry setting we can push to disable autoupdate notifications?
Yes, there is - sorry, I haven't updated the documentation in a while, so the value isn't there... See this page for how to customize the settings during installation:

http://pathcopycopy.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Network%20Administrator

The value you're looking for is named DisableSoftwareUpdate. It's a DWORD value. Set a value of 1 to disable auto-updating. You can also push the registry setting via policy I guess. Place it in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\clechasseur\PathCopyCopy.

I'll get around to adding this in the docs as soon as possible.
Mar 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Thanks clechasseur!
May 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Hi Charles,
first of all: Thank you for this wonderfull little utility!

The disable update registry key does unfortunately not work as intended.
The key is being written to the LocalUser context. This does work for a single user.
But to preconfig a deployment, it is not feasible, because it can be changed by the user and needs an extra effort to distribute it to every user.
Please make the key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\clechasseur\PathCopyCopy work.
It should override the setting from the LocalUser context and grey out the option in the dialog.

If there is a need for testing this, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards, Nick
Coordinator
Jun 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Smartnick wrote:
Hi Charles,
first of all: Thank you for this wonderfull little utility!

The disable update registry key does unfortunately not work as intended.
The key is being written to the LocalUser context. This does work for a single user.
But to preconfig a deployment, it is not feasible, because it can be changed by the user and needs an extra effort to distribute it to every user.
Please make the key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\clechasseur\PathCopyCopy work.
It should override the setting from the LocalUser context and grey out the option in the dialog.

If there is a need for testing this, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards, Nick
Hello Nick,

Sorry for the slight delay. Indeed, all Path Copy Copy options are written to the CURRENT_USER key by default when modified via the Settings app. However, if a registry value is not found in CURRENT_USER when Path Copy Copy looks for it, it will then look for the same registry value in LOCAL_MACHINE. Furthermore, there is a way to completely disable user options: create a registry value named KeyLock in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\clechasseur\PathCopyCopy and give it the value 1. This will disable the "Settings" menu item in Path Copy Copy's contextual menu, will prevent the Settings app from being launched by hand and will cause Path Copy Copy to ignore any values in CURRENT_USER, always falling back to the values in LOCAL_MACHINE. See documentation for details (link above).

The only thing that isn't currently supported is a way to disable specific options only (e.g., a kind of KeyLock for each option). I guess that could be a useful feature. Feel free to enter a work item if you wish.