Availablity as a formal paid-for application (to meet corporate policy)?

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Charles,

Is there a possibility that PathCopyCopy can be made available as paid for software 'from a reputable vendor'?

My IT security group advise that they avoid open source and un-validated software, so neither the Ninotech original nor your FOSS versions meet their criteria. Corporate entities like to pay a supplier who they believe will therefore be more careful and responsible for the software.

Often the pricing ends up being funny money for larger applications because of all the consultants (see http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/CamelsandRubberDuckies.html for a discussion on pricing!).

So what might a 2,000 seat site s/licence// purchase cost, fours sites, etc..., who knows, maybe a support / update fee etc. etc.

I'm pushing for IT to provide a pathcopy tool but it's uphill ;-)

regards

Philip
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2013 at 3:13 AM
Since Path Copy Copy is published under the MIT License, nothing prevents anyone from selling it for money and/or charging for support, be it a "reputable vendor" or otherwise.

However, I am not currently in a position to do this myself. I work on my free software projects in my spare time and I do not have enough time to set up what is needed to sell my software for profit, nor do I have enough time to actually perform paid support. I am sorry - maybe this will change someday, but for the moment, here we are.

If you do find a vendor willing to support Path Copy Copy for a fee, make sure they retain the copyright notice, if they repackage it. This is the only requirement.

As a closing note, I feel I need to point out that this IT policy is extremely misguided - free and open-source software is sometimes the best choice and some of the most popular free software out there is sometimes of much greater quality than commercial alternatives. However, this is not really the place to discuss this, so I won't push the issue too much. :-)
Sep 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I try not to over-rationalise such policies. Sometimes it's easier to go with the flow and sell them what they want.... if it meets their criteria.
In some senses it's the same limited resource / time restrictions as you indicated for yourself. The software is still good. Thank you for your reply.
Philip