This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

path copy copy

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:09 AM
I'd like to be able to use the "find/replace" function to replace the backslashes (or forward slashes) with some other text like a hyphen.... this way I can use the full path name of the parent folder to RENAME a file. I am working with a "library" of electronic documents which I sort and catalog on a computer and then download to a ebook reader. Essentially I wish to rename a...

c:\Library\T\Tolkien, J R R\LOTR\01 - Fellowship of the Ring.PDF
(thats "library, last name starts with T, authors name, series name, file name)

what I currently get is
LibraryTTolkien, J R RLOTR01 - Fellowship of the Ring.PDF

all mashed together, no spaces or seperators or anything

and I'd like
Library - T - Tolkien, J R R - LOTR - 01 - Fellowship of the Ring.PDF

most ebook readers have crappy folder or sorting capabilities, so its nice to have a big long informative filename. Any help?
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM
I haven't found a way to do it through Path Copy Copy's "official" custom commands, because you need to remove the drive part... However, custom commands are actually a bit more powerful than what the Settings application allows you to build. I've found a way to do it by crafting a custom command by hand. Here is how you can do it:
  1. Create a custom command and give it a name you want. No need to configure anything else.
  2. Open the registry editor. To do so, press Windows-R to get the Run dialog, enter "regedit" and click OK.
  3. In the registry editor, navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER root node, then navigate down the tree to SOFTWARE\clechasseur\PathCopyCopy\PipelinePlugins.
  4. Locate your custom command. Each has a different node that uses a GUID as its name, so you'll have to look at each one to locate yours via the "Description" entry.
  5. Once you've located your custom command, double-click on the "(Default)" entry and enter the following string EXACTLY, then click OK.
03{{331a3b60-af49-44f4-b30d-56adff6d25e8}^00010002\0003 - 0^00010012^\w: - (.*)$0002$10

If everything went as expected, your custom command should now be able to do the replacement you wanted. However, please note that you will no longer be able to edit the custom command from the Settings application - doing so would overwrite it with something that won't work.

In the future, I might add the capability to chain regular expression operations like this in the Settings application, making it possible to edit such custom commands yourself.
Oct 1, 2015 at 3:54 PM
Edited Oct 1, 2015 at 3:55 PM
hello there
Oct 1, 2015 at 3:55 PM
I am using a software called Long Path Tool for such errors and it is working like charm, i have no problems in copying or extracting anything anywhere.