This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Transfer Path Copy Copy settings to another machine

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Thank you for your selfless develop excellent program Path Copy Copy!
Using PCC on Win8.1 x86, .NET Framework 3.5 is NOT installed, so only used the default option, because you can not go to the settings of the program.
There is another machine Win7 x86, .NET Framework 3.5 installed, so PCC is ideally configured.
Q1. How do I move the PCC configuration with Win7 on Win8.1 to make full use without installing .NET Framework 3.5?
Q2. Is it possible to backup / restore settings PCC?
Q3. Do we know the approximate release dates v12?
Thank!
Coordinator
Dec 14, 2014 at 12:58 PM
grossvater wrote:
Thank you for your selfless develop excellent program Path Copy Copy!
Using PCC on Win8.1 x86, .NET Framework 3.5 is NOT installed, so only used the default option, because you can not go to the settings of the program.
That is strange. Normally, launching the Settings application should cause Windows 8 to prompt you to enable .NET Framework 3.5. If it's not doing that, you can always enable it manually via "Programs and Features" -> "Turn Windows features on or off".
There is another machine Win7 x86, .NET Framework 3.5 installed, so PCC is ideally configured.
Q1. How do I move the PCC configuration with Win7 on Win8.1 to make full use without installing .NET Framework 3.5?
There's no option to do this currently. That would be a good idea indeed. In the meantime, try the following:
  1. On the Win7 machine, launch regedit via Start Menu -> Run... -> regedit
  2. In the tree view on the left, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\clechasseur\PathCopyCopy
  3. Choose File -> Export. Save the resulting .reg file. In the save dialog, make sure that "Selected branch" is selected at the bottom
  4. Copy the .reg file to the Win8 machine and simply double-click on it in Windows Explorer. When asked whether to import the registry settings, choose Yes.
Normally, you should end up with the same configuration as your Win7 machine.
Q2. Is it possible to backup / restore settings PCC?
Not currently. I'll enter a work item for this feature suggestion.
Q3. Do we know the approximate release dates v12?
Unfortunately, no... I was on sick leave for a long time this year and I am currently getting slowly back to work. It probably won't be until next year and I cannot say when.
Coordinator
Dec 14, 2014 at 12:59 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Dec 15, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Thanks for the answer !
You were right, need to allow .NET FW 3.5 in Windows Components. This will lead to an increase system partition to 300MB, so I do not do it (I want to get the system to the minimum size for next image creation) .
Tomorrow will be the opportunity to test the transfer of PCC settings from another computer.
It is sometimes necessary option to "copy name without extension" (example: notepad.exe->notepad). Do you think there is a grain of truth in this ?
Please, try not to hurt, and let you all will be well .
P.S.
I'm not quite sure where you want to continue the discussion, here or here ?
Dec 16, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Edited Dec 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Did an experiment Backup / Restore / Transfer PCC settings, with two machines , Win7 and Win8.1.
Win7-to- Win7 ( same machine)
Backup / Restore is successful and correctly , it is enough to export / import the registry key
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ clechasseur \ PathCopyCopy]
Win7-to- Win8.1
When you import the key
with Win7 to Win8.1, number of context menu items is added , for example, had 3 points, import the key from Win7 with 5 points, total in the context menu Win8.1 get 3+5=8 points.
Correctly obtained, if Win8.1 to first remove the key
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ clechasseur \ PathCopyCopy], and then import the new key from Win7, or combine the removal and import in a common file *.reg.
Maybe, I'm somewhere and make mistakes in their actions , but in general with the Backup / Restore / Transfer I understand everything .
Coordinator
Dec 17, 2014 at 10:50 AM
grossvater wrote:
Did an experiment Backup / Restore / Transfer PCC settings, with two machines , Win7 and Win8.1.
Win7-to- Win7 ( same machine)
Backup / Restore is successful and correctly , it is enough to export / import the registry key
Win7-to- Win8.1
When you import the key
with Win7 to Win8.1, number of context menu items is added , for example, had 3 points, import the key from Win7 with 5 points, total in the context menu Win8.1 get 3+5=8 points.
Correctly obtained, if Win8.1 to first remove the key
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ clechasseur \ PathCopyCopy], and then import the new key from Win7, or combine the removal and import in a common file *.reg.
Maybe, I'm somewhere and make mistakes in their actions , but in general with the Backup / Restore / Transfer I understand everything .
Yeah, if you already had settings on the target machine, the registry key will be merged. Removing the key first would fix this.

That's why an import/export tool would be more convenient.
Coordinator
Dec 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM
grossvater wrote:
It is sometimes necessary option to "copy name without extension" (example: notepad.exe->notepad). Do you think there is a grain of truth in this ?
I guess it depends on your workflow. But it should be possible to do this already with a custom command, using a regular expression. You could try this, which seems to work:

Find what: ^(.*)(.[^.]+)$
Replace with: $1

To test this, I used "Copy Long Name" as the base command.