Path Copy Copy Portable?

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:45 PM
Edited Oct 6, 2016 at 8:48 PM
Windows 10 Pro, latest windows updates installed

Ive been using Path Copy Copy for years, and finally I can easily customize the default entries.

I am curious about the portable version. I always to prefer to use portable versions when I can, but I understand by the very nature of Path Copy Copy, there is going to be some registry involvement.

However, looking at the registry changes after installation, can you tell me how the portable version differs from the .exe?. It also showed in my installed programs.

All that said, the portable version did not work for me. I could get the settings to open, but they had no effect. An error also popped up along the way (went away too soon for me to document for you)

Furthermore, the portable version did not ask where I wanted it installed.

I had to uninstall it, a little unusual for a portable. I eventually decided to use the .exe, and it works great.

thanks
Coordinator
Oct 6, 2016 at 9:19 PM
On 6/10/16 4:45 PM, needowelum wrote:

Windows 10 Pro, latest windows updates installed

Ive been using Path Copy Copy for years, and finally I can easily customize the default entries.

I am curious about the portable version. I always to prefer to use portable versions when I can, but I understand by the very nature of Path Copy Copy, there is going to be some registry involvement.

However, looking at the registry changes after installation, can you tell me how the portable version differs from the .exe?.
The portable version writes all its registry entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is never touched. This makes it possible to install it using limited accounts, for example. (Or at least that's the theory, I seem to have problems getting it to work properly. :-(

All that said, the portable version did not work for me. I could get the settings to open, but they had no effect. An error also popped up along the way (went away too soon for me to document for you)

Furthermore, the portable version did not ask where I wanted it installed.
Out of curiosity, did you have a previous version of Path Copy Copy installed on your system, using the regular installer? If so, it might be a problem to install the Portable version.... at least, I don't think I've tested this scenario. In theory it shouldn't be, but hey...

Were you on a limited user account? Did you have UAC enabled?

I'll have to retry the portable version on my own to see how it goes...

I eventually decided to use the .exe, and it works great.

thanks
Thank you, but sorry that the portable version did not work out for you :-(
Oct 7, 2016 at 10:28 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2016 at 10:30 PM
clechasseur wrote:
Out of curiosity, did you have a previous version of Path Copy Copy installed on your system, using the regular installer? If so, it might be a problem to install the Portable version.... at least, I don't think I've tested this scenario. In theory it shouldn't be, but hey...
Yes, installer version 12.0. Fact is I've never been successful with the portable version in the past.

clechasseur wrote:
Were you on a limited user account? Did you have UAC enabled? I'll have to retry the portable version on my own to see how it goes...
I am the only user, UAC enabled

Its not that big a deal. I'll check back to see how it goes

Thanks for getting back